Updated: 23 August 2013 for Patch 0.7.1694
Beta Crystite was a currency introduced as compensation for existing resources at the time becoming obsolete. Beta Crystite could be used to purchase a range of cosmetic and functional rewards, and was intended as a reward for long-term testers.
Note that Beta Crystite rewards can still be purchased – as of Patch 0.7.1694, Ratchet is back in Copacabana. However, you’re no longer able to create new Beta Crystite, so spend your remaining reserves of it carefully!
Beta Crystite Sources
Beta Crystite appeared when Patch 0.6 was released in late March. It came from three sources:
- All pre-patch crystite was automatically turned into Beta Crystite at a 1:1 ratio.
- All pre-patch resources could no longer be used to craft anything, but a new recipe was introduced to refine pre-patch resources directly into Beta Crystite at a 1:1 ratio.
- All pre-patch sifted earth was automatically turned into Granulated Earth. It too could be refined only into Beta Crystite.
Beta Crystite could also be created using the Crystite Beta Conversion recipe at the printer, to turn Crystite into Beta Crystite at a 1:1 ratio. It can no longer be created by any means, however.
Beta Crystite Rewards
Players can spend Beta Crystite with an NPC called Ratchet, who is near the Accord area in Copacabana. (For those of you who remember her from the old days, she’s moved from her spot near the Copa nanoprinter.) She sold the following items until Patch 0.7.1667, and again from Patch 0.7.1694.
- +50% resource boost, 60 minutes: 10,000 β-CY
- +5% resource boost, permanent: 15,000 β-CY
- +10% resource boost, 6 months: 250,000 β-CY
The +5% and +10% boosts don’t stack, but do overlap, so if you bought both the 5% and 10% boosts you’d get 10% for 6 months and then it will drop to 5% permanently. The temporary +50% boost stacks with either the 5% or the 10%.
Resource boosts apply to all sources of resources: thumping, blowing up surface nodes, opening supply chests, completing missions, etc. And the temporary boost kicks in as soon as you buy it, so you couldn’t buy a stack of them and stockpile them for a year.
- T.E.X. Leash: 20,000 β-CY
- Cobra LGV: 75,000 β-CY
- Crystalwing Glider Pad: 20,000 β-CY
- Diamondwing Glider Pad: 100,000 β-CY
- Angel Wing Glider Pad: 300,000 β-CY
T.E.X. is a robot minipet with a cowboy hat. The Cobra LGV is the same model as the Damaged Courier Cycle from Crashed LGV events (and the bike you use for Race Missions), although it has a red and grey warpaint. (See our Firefall Vehicles Guide for a look at the Cobra LGV next to the other LGVs.) The Glider Pads are placeable glider pads that give you differently-styled glider wings. They share a cooldown with each other, but not with the existing craftable Glider Pads or the Rechargeable Glider Pad available for 50. (Check out our Guide to Gliders for a look at the different glider pads.)
- Beta Crystite Pack: 10,000 β-CY
- Beta Crystite Crate: 100,000 β-CY
The Beta Crystite Pack contains three random items: one boost (short-term increase to XP/resources), one consumable (identical to the crafted versions), and one single-use version of TEX, the Cobra LGV or one of the glider pads. There’s also a small chance of getting the real permanent version one of these items.
Red5 also wanted to add some cosmetic items like warpaints, but were not able to surmount the technical difficulties in time.